June 12, 2013

When what He gives doesn't look like enough...

I am not the world's best gardener, that's for sure. I love flowers and think well tended vegetable and flower gardens are glorious! I always start out with good intentions but my follow through is a bit lacking and I get distracted with the rest of life going on which frustrates my poor daughter no end....

This morning I was reading in a devotional by Ann Voskamp  ( One-Thousand-Gifts-Devotional-Reflections on finding everyday Graces) and she talks about seeds...

How we often miss the small things in life:

"But to look at seeds and believe He will feed us? When what He gives doesn't look like near enough. When it looks like less than a handful instead of a plateful, a year full, a life full. When it looks inedible.... it looks like a bit of a joke. To hand someone seeds for his swelling, panging starvaton, and ask him to believe in a feast -- is this what everyday faith is??
   The promise of feast is within the moments."

And it struck me as well that often not only am I asked to have faith in a few small "seeds" of prayer, hope and God's Word but also to remember

  -when my life seems fallow and empty, nothing seems to be growing or it only seems to be growing weeds,
             -when all I've planted seems dead and I'm just waiting for a small leaf
                   -or God has asked me not to plant just yet to wait, to remember

         that THIS too has purpose and that just as fallowness in farming is not useless but brings healing, growth and a richer fuller harvest later on

                                      ...so too it may be what He is after in my life. 


(photo from "My Indiana Home")

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thoughts

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." .... Jeremiah 29:11 (esv)